[usa2003ardf] Transmitters

Sam Smith sam.smith at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 7 10:07:38 CDT 2003

Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
> How do you charge the gel cells?  If I remember the ones in Georgia, there
> were binding posts on the outside of the ammo cases that I assume go to the
> gel cell battery terminals.  Are there charge controllers built into the box?
> If so, what kind/where do you get them?  If not, what external charge
> controller do you use?

The binding posts are for the 80 meter antenna. I use powerpole
connectors in the box. When you open the lid it's right there,
disconnect it and connect the charger cable (same connector). I have a
shelf set up in the garage with a micro-m+ charger. All the gel cells
are surplus out of ups's. I have to test them under load, sometimes they
look like they are holding a charge until you actually key the
transmitter, then the voltage drops.

No problems with heat - everything is padded in place with foam inside
the boxes also. It's only a 20% duty cycle and only a few watts.
Everything here is in the shade at least :-)

Sam N4MAP