[usa2003ardf] What's next for this e-mail reflector?

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 6 17:53:08 CDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 04:57:38PM -0400, Matthew Robbins wrote:
> I was just wondering what is next for this e-mail reflector.  I understand
> there is a Fox List that covers both "normal" mobile T-hunts and ARDF.  Is
> there a need for an ARDF only list, or would a combined list better grow
> ARDF?

Personally, I would love to see an ongoing ARDF list.  I could set that
up on kkn.net using the same Mailman reflector software we've been using for
usa2003ardf.  I think an ARDF-specific list would be more interesting to me
that one that also covered mobile T-hunts.

> One topic I'd like to propose is Club Equipment for ARDF.  Or maybe "Meet
> Equipment".  At Oxford, someone I spoke to wanted to put on events, but was
> having trouble figuring out what pieces to get and how to put them
> together. On a budget.

I, too, would be very interested in this.  I have been slowly accumulating
parts, but I would love to see information on things like how exactly to
build those 80 meter verticals (like the attached stake on the OH-KY-IN
verticals - where do you get those?  How did you attach it to the fiberglass
fishing pole?  Was that something that had to be custom welded maybe?  Did
it attach to the radials as part of a ground system?)

> Anyway, is this type of discussion appropriate here, or is there a better
> place?

I think I will decomission this reflector only after we're ready with a
usa2004ardf reflector which will happen only after a 2004 US Champs host
has been announced.  This may be a month or two.  But yes, I think an
ARDF reflector for general, non-event-specific ARDF discussion would be a
great thing.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops