[WVARC] WA6LXN/6 Field Day Results

Leigh S. Jones leigh at j1s.us
Wed Jun 26 17:39:43 PDT 2013

You had to go and wax poetic on us there Marty...

FD memories:

1) a bunch of crazy kids getting together every year and the miracle that no one was ever badly injured

2) Matts 30 watt novice transmitter into the Hygain equivalent of the Gotham Vertical ground mounted on a superb hilltop works no better than the same down in the valley and some crazy non-ham participant's 1952 Chevy boat tearing up and down washboard dirt roads with two of our other participants clinging to the roof of the car because we couldn't fit them inside the car

3) operating 2A at W6CXW/6 from a vacant lot near WB6NWK's location -- a garbage looking homebrew 3 ele 15 yagi at eye level (about 5 feet) works 10 db better than a TA-33 at 25 feet.  WB6NWK's high pitched prepubescent voice cuts through QRM, so I emulated his results by doing all of my future phone contests while straining my voice to squeak like a dolphin

4) The first WVARC FD. a 5A effort with several super portable plywood-spreader quads made all previous FD participation by our group's members look, well, amateurish. Two other squeaky voices manning 15 M with one of the plywood quads making huge contact totals and having both the Frankfort Radio Club operator and the PVRC operator tell me our signal dominated all bands on the East Coast

5) WB6VFJ's Hygain yagis the next year made the quads look as feeble as Gotham verticals. I slept overnight at the site Friday night to guard Ken's antennas, and another police car turned on his lights and sirens once per hour, awakened me and checked ID's and letters of permission

6) riding to Contractors Point in WB6WIT's red 65 mustang the evening the crane was coming to Contractors point to raise W6GP's telephone poles

7) WB6VFJ's 5 element long boom yagis at Contractors Point and three elements on 40 M, but the single antenna with the highest contact total is the 15 foot high 40 meter dipole used on phone during the daytime

8) 60 QSOs per hour on 80m CW for four solid hours well after midnight, then the next two hours waiting for the rental place to open up so a new generator could be rented to us down in the valley (80 m Hygain tape dipole at 20 feet).

9) Thad actually repairing a defunct generator in the dark and putting us back on the air just before the new generator came up the road.

10) the worries before FD that we'd lose hundreds of contacts per band because of interference from W6SD.  Looking out the tent at W6SD's yagis visible on the hill above us during our 20 m contact, but having trouble pulling his exchange through interference from the Midwest

11) W1ZM, a guy I didn't even know, calling me on a wats line Monday morning early from Connecticut -- a WVARC member told him I would be submitting the logs -- and he was excited to learn whether his club had defeated us.  I don't remember which club, some "wireless association" that put on the biggest effort Connecticut had ever seen to try to defeat, in particular, our already famous club, the one in the movie, sparing no expense.  The foul mouthed cursing you never hear on the air when I told him our numbers. The eventual congratulations. More cursing.  Years later he gave me a remarkably similar call when he came in behind me in the ARRL DX contest.

Leigh S. Jones KR6X