[WVARC] Exactly 40 Years ago, WA6LXN/6 wins Field Day class 4A

greg falxa gregfalxa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 18:38:26 PDT 2013

I believe Contractor's Point 1970  was my first FD, and maybe my last...
but it was not in vain! One of my careers was 20 yrs. as a
radio-communications tech, with field work in Washington state, Alaska, and
with my last 3 yrs working in communications in Antarctica. Now that ws
cool!

At my first 2-way radio shop interview (circa 1978) when they asked if I
climbed I said "of course.'

Them: 'How high have you worked?'

Me: "100 ft." -- recalling that the more eastern pole at Contractor's Point
was around 90 feet.

Practically speaking I should have said 50ft, but heck, it was just an
installer job at the local motorola shop. I got to enjoy many 100 - 150 ft
climbs during my time in the trade, but that wooden pole on Contractor's
Pt. was seminal. Or was it getting there in Magnet's Corvair... ?

Now? I do bat research, with a speciality in the bio-acoustic end of things.

<http://nwbats.com/calls/>

-Greg
--
Greg Falxa