[WVARC] Henry Radio QRT

Matt Futterman, N6PN n6pn at prodigy.net
Mon Oct 11 14:14:59 CDT 2004

Anybody remember Thrifty Electronics in Van Nuys?  There was a
fellow there, Jeff, WA6CET, who taught a novice class.  I was one
of his students.  I actually made my very first QSO using the Thrifty
Electronics ham radio station that they had set up - some guy in La
Puente that I lost in the QRM of all the other novices on 40 CW on
during a weekday in the middle of summer.  How incredible was that?

I remember having a QSO with another Van Nuys novice, WN6LEE,
then hopping on my bike to Thrifty in order to buy more crystals, only
to find that he was leaving the store on his bike after having just bought
all the remaining 40 meter novice crystals.

I think during my entire time as a novice I only had two or three 40
meter crystals.  Didn't stop me from having a heck of alot of fun as
a novice though.

Matt