[WVARC] Henry Radio QRT

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Oct 11 11:51:45 CDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 04:24:50PM -0700, Joseph M. Wade wrote:

> I loved Johnson Equipment and always wanted a Ranger.  If you go to
> California Adventure, they have a Johnson Ranger in the Redword Forest
> walk at what is supposed to be a ranger station.

Ah - memories.

My dad knew a ham at work - who sold him a Viking 1 and 122 VFO that I
added to my station in 1968.  It died in my first CD party when I was
QSYing from 20 meters to 40 meters when the glass roller inductor
shattered.  I bought a Viking II from club member WB6OLD.  I remember it
had a bunch of car rally stickers on it.

I think my dad tried to buy an S-120 from Henry Radio, but they were
out.  We eventually ordered one from Allied, but it took FOREVER to
get it.  I think they lost our order.  I would be out waiting every
afternoon for it to be delivered.  I think that was in 1965 or so.

When I was building my novice rig, we went to Henry's on Olympic to
get some parts.  They were trying to convince me that I only needed
a phono jack for the RF output (after all - Collins uses them).  I
still went with a SO-239.

I never did buy a radio from them - but would occasionally drop in
whenever I drove by.  I remember walking out and seeing Warren Davis
who was still K6NA and exchanging funny insults.

As far as HRO, I bought a TS-700 from Jim Rafferty at whatever the
name of the radio store he started up was before HRO bought him out.
I think N6TV worked their for a bit - was it Comtech?

What was that surplus place that WA6QDQ ran for awhile?  And didn't
Mike Seedman work at a radio store for awhile?  Who can remember seeing
ham equipment at West Valley Electronics (gee, I am not even sure I
remember that).

Memory - it is the second thing to go - and I forget what the first
thing was.

Tree