[WVARC] kkn.net outages

Tree tree@kkn.net
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:06:54 -0700

It turns out the reason kkn.net was down for two periods this week (the second one
was much shorter) was due to hackers.  It appears the "damage" is pretty minimal
and people who know much more about this kind of stuff than I do are working the
issue.  This might result in some short interruptions in service during the next
week or two.

Just thought you would like to know the root cause of the problem.

The kkn.net machine is owned by Trey Garlough - N5KO (who used to be
WN4KKN - hence the name of the machine).  Trey is currently on HC8,
preparing for the RTTY contest this weekend.  He, and a few of his
friends have built a very nice multi-multi station down there.  N6TV
can tell about it from first hand.  I hope to make it down there
someday, but probably not until this number recovers to something
closer to what it was two years ago:

Intel Stock:*   15.07  -0.08

The kkn.net server runs on a UPS that is interesting to read about:

http://www.solarwarrior.com/

You can find out more about some of the people behind the kkn.net machine by
going to www.kkn.net.

Tree