[WVARC] Ten Meters

Tree tree@kkn.net
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:20:24 -0700

> I remember that contest very well.  Before the contest Matt and I
> joined in
> helping to put the quad up.  Matt and I (perhaps with another
> operator) did
> the contest from Matt's.  I can tell you that the quad was a very
> effective
> performer with a solid s-unit edge over Matt's tribander.

Another "throw up a quad for the ten meter contest" story is something
like the 1974 running (could have been 75).  My folks were in the
process of breaking up - and at that point, I was living with my
mom in an apartment in Reseda.  I remember coming home to that
apartment once and noticing the sun was coming up after an all
night Risk game.

I had been working on my 5BWAS - greatly assisted by activity in
the CD parties.  My last state was Delaware on 10 meters.  I
arranged to go back home for the contest - and setup a field
day type station on a card table and threw up a 2 element wire
quad pointing at Delaware.  After the first night, I hadn't
worked one, but some of the locals did and they let me know
the callsigns of the stations.  On Sunday, one of them answered
my CQ.

Later, my sister moved into the apartment which gave us critical
mass and eventually ended up moving back into the house.  However,
shortly after that - I moved in with some guy in Tupper Street who
kept saying he was going to put up a 100 foot tower.

Tree