[TexasARDF] [ARDF] 1:10000 vs. 1:150000

Paul Gruettner wb9odq at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 27 13:04:22 PST 2008

Ken,
  I guess I would prefer to stay with the same scale that is used in the world championships.
  73s,
  Paul/WB9ODQ

"Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker at kenharker.com> wrote:
  The organizing committee for the 2008 USA ARDF Championships is having
an internal debate about the map scale to use for the competition. We would
like to have the maps fit on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper.

1:15000: Same scale as used in World Championships. We can probably get
slightly longer courses on the maps, but that might involve slight
overlap in terrain from day 1 to day 2.

1:10000: Easier to read, including some terrain detail (principally dry
ditch markings) that tend to get lost at 1:150000. Courses would
necessarily be shorter in order to fit entirely on the map - some
classes would probably have an optimal course length < 6 km.

I would like to get a sense of what everyone would prefer. In 2006
in North Carolina we used 1:15000. In 2007 in California we used 1:10000.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/