[TexasARDF] [ARDF] 1:10000 vs. 1:150000

Jennifer Harker harkerjen at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 20:10:31 PST 2008

The scale at Bastrop, at least what the OCAD file uses, is 1:15000.  For the last several years, the o-meet shorter courses have been at 1:10000, and I've appreciated it in some of the more complex areas.  I think the map has too much detail in some places for 1:15000.

That said, I think the level of detail needed for ARDF, as long as you have an idea of where you are, is less than that of an orienteering course where you've got to find just the right ditch junction.  You won't get lost at 1:15000, but you might have trouble keeping close contact with the map here and there.  All the detail is there - I printed out a map at Kinko's today to check the process - it's just very cramped in spots.

The map actually fits very nicely, shapewise, on 8.5x11 at 1:10000 with little free space for titles and legends, but the longest course I seem to be able to plan on it is about 6.5K.  We have some constraints we've made, like having the start and finish near bathrooms and parking.  Unfortunately, the shorter courses were winding up between 4K and 6K, which is just a bit too short.  And on 2m, it wasn't as technically challenging as it could be if I had a little more space to play with.

This is subject to change (as is most stuff at this point), but we're
inclined to go with 1:15000 and 8.5x11.  It's still readable.  Y'all
won't have too much trouble determining what's a trail or road, and the
overall terrain, from the map at that scale.

I promise that it won't be at 1:150,000 like the subject says.  ;-)

---Jen