[TexasARDF] [ARDF] 1:10000 vs. 1:150000

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sat Jan 26 10:42:59 PST 2008

Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
>      The organizing committee for the 2008 USA ARDF Championships is having
> an internal debate about the map scale to use for the competition.  We would
> like to have the maps fit on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper.
>
> 1:15000: Same scale as used in World Championships.  We can probably get
>          slightly longer courses on the maps, but that might involve slight
>          overlap in terrain from day 1 to day 2.
>
> 1:10000: Easier to read, including some terrain detail (principally dry
>          ditch markings) that tend to get lost at 1:150000.  Courses would
>          necessarily be shorter in order to fit entirely on the map - some
>          classes would probably have an optimal course length < 6 km.
>
>      I would like to get a sense of what everyone would prefer.  In 2006
> in North Carolina we used 1:15000.  In 2007 in California we used 1:10000.

Please don't compromise the courses in order to fit an arbitrary paper
size.  If necessary go to a B-size map 11 * 17 at 1:10000.  You probably
won't use the whole sheet, if it will fit A-size at 1:10000 it should
fit in about 2/3 of a B-size sheet.  You can trim to something more
reasonable and let the competitors know the size.

California's primary election is Feb. 5 as well as other states, so lots
of nice corrugated plastic map board material will be available for free
right after the polls close.

If you must stick with 8.5 * 11, then my vote is for 1:15000 with the
longer courses.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net