[TexasARDF] Embargo

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Tue Oct 23 09:27:42 PDT 2007

     Just to make it clear to everyone, although we have announced
that Bastrop and Buescher State Parks are going to be the location of
the 2008 United States ARDF Championships, we've also announced (see
http://www.texasardf.org/usa2008/ for details) an embargo on those
locations for competitors.  What this means is that, until the Friday
of the event, we would rather not have competitors visiting those
parks, as recent familiarity with the course locations could give an
unfair advantage.  This is very similar to what the Georgia and North
Carolina groups did in 2003 and 2006.

     [We've announced that the embargo begins this Monday only because
HOC is holding the Southwest Regional Orienteering Championships at
Bastrop this weekend and Jen and I hope to recruit some first-time
ARDFers from the group, not because we want experienced ARDFers to
have one last weekend to scout the terrain.]

     If you want to come to Texas for a warm-up classic orienteering
event, the HOC is hosting a two-day classic orienteering meet February 9-10,
2008 in the Sam Houston National Forest near Lake Conroe, Texas.  This is
over 100 miles away from Bastrop, has almost no elevation change, and will
obviously be during a cooler part of the year, but you might learn about
sticker vines, prickly pear, and what a dry ditch looks like in our part
of the world (http://www.hoc.us.orienteering.org/).  [If you or a family
member are birders, that venue is home to an endangered red-cockaded
woodpecker.]

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com