[FQP] K4OJ Multi-Multi-Mobile 2017 FQP Results

Dave Edmonds dave at pkministrywebs.com
Mon May 1 15:37:32 PDT 2017

Hey Team K4OJ! and especially Kevin, N4KM.

​It's not every day that I see my callsign in someone's contest write-up so
I had to follow-up....

I want to thank y'all for operating on 40m!!!! As I mentioned in my
3830scores article, there was no other option for me to work Florida than
40m. I operated unassisted in the purest possible form. I didn't have use
anything and I mean anything (no maps, K0RC planner, etc.) other than my
mic, keyer and rig (which was not interfaced with logging sw). Running an
IC-751 at 75w with 40m dipole at 10 feet. Using this station, I ended up
with 192 claimed contacts and 83 multipliers with a score in the 56k range.

I tuned my VFO between 7.025 and 7.045 for cw and between 7.200 and 7.250
for SSB. That's all I did... On CW I worked all of the 1x1 stations as
quickly as possible, then worked the active fixed CW stations. Then i
focused on working 3 motiles stations... these were K4OJ, AD4ES and K4FCG.
There were a few other mobile stations that periodically visited 40m during
the day, but these three were going be the only way that I could have a
decent score in this game...

As a long-time county hunter NCS station, I remember following mobiles
around and after a while, you get the 'feel' of when stations would be in a
new county etc... The same was true with the FQP. My process... I'd work
the mobile station and try to make a mental note when they changed
counties.. I'd run to phone to seek out K4FCG... then about every 10 mins
or so I'd monitor 7.030.5 for AD4ES and 7.034.5 for K4OJ. I had no idea of
their routes, but I tried to work them every 10 mins or so.

One highlight was working Kevin when he went into a new county Seminole at
2159z. I had only 45 secs to do it. We quickly made the contact.

I'm sure that Kevin really got tired of hearing my callsign... I believe I
worked him in 31 counties if I'm not mistaken... Since I could count on
these two mobiles being on 40m, I made the effort keep my BIC as much as
possible... and it paid off..

By the way, K4OJ and AD4ES had excellent sigs on a very noisy 40m band.

Thanks to all the mobiles but special thanks goes to K4OJ and AD4ES for
keeping 40m alive!

I'll be seeing y'all again next year!

73s Dave WN4AFP