[FQP] FQP from the UK - G4BUE

Chris Page chris at g4bue.com
Mon Apr 28 10:29:50 PDT 2014

Single Op CW High Power (400 watts - UK maximum!)only Assisted.

Score = 37,118 points

	QSO	Points	Mult
40	27	54	5
20	155	310	52
15	71	142	10
10	24	48	0

All	277	554	67

June and I had to stay in the UK this spring due to a combination of winter
storm damage to our UK QTH and June's health problems.  We were not, therefore,
able to do our usual multi-single from Sebring, FL as N4CJ.

I was, therefore, G4BUE this year, but wasn't able to be QRV all the time (N1MM
shows I operated for just under 12 hours).  Family arrived two minutes after
the contest started (I had just QSO'd K1TO for my first QSO),  and I wasn't
able to get back on until 2130z.  I also had to take some breaks on Sunday and
so I decided to concentrate on getting a clean sweep rather than trying for a
big score, and managed to do this 50 minutes before the contest ended (thanks
W4AN for FRA and NO5W for HOL).

Conditions were the best I have heard for the FQP from the UK and I QSO'd
mobiles on 10m for the first time.

K4OJ was the dominant mobile signal and once I figured out their operating
frequencies, when I heard them in a new county I was often able to work them on
the three HF bands within a couple of minutes, especially on Sunday when 10m
conditions were pretty good.  The occasional Florida fixed station I heard on
10m was often 10dB or so over S9, but where were all the others at those times?

The only problem (that effected us here in Europe) was the Russian DZ Contest
on Sunday afternoon, mainly on 20m, with many loud and wide UA stations calling
CQ above 14040kHz making it very difficult to hear the Florida mobiles.

My thanks to all the mobile operators who make this contest so much fun to
enter from the UK.  I just wish I had been able to operate for the whole 20
hours.

73 de Chris, G4BUE (N4CJ)