[FQP] FW: MiQP WI9WI Mobile Solo Op LP

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 05:36:14 PDT 2013

Jim,

You did a great job...tnx for the Qsos from WAY UP NORTH.  Your story  is
amazing, and you should really send it into the NCJ for us DOWN SOUTH
SISSIES to read.  Your signal was not loud, but was easily copyable.   A few times
you were within a few HZ from K8MR, and I had to crank down the  bandwidth
to get you.

When I was working you early on Saturday, I was not hearing NE9U at  all.
I guess that Ron's truck had a problem and, from what you wrote, they  must
have gone back to change vehicles.  That must have been a joy!   Later in
the day, I worked NE9U several times.  Neither of you were  smashingly loud.

Jim, K8MR, by far and away the best mobile, followed by W8CAR. (Best  in
the sense of high speed operating and rapid county  changes.)  MR, CAR and
NE9U were Mixed, and I worked them several  times both modes (MR many times
both modes).  Jim was moving us to 14,151  which, by the way I loaned him that
frequency for the weekend, as it is our  proprietary FQP freq!  Later he was
moving the pack, first to 7133 and  later to 7140.  7140 turned out to be
the better freq, since 7133 became  inhabited by some dx stns without a sense
of humor.

A point I want to make for all of our listeners is that it really helps if
the mobiles always keep the same frequency.  That way we can map them on
the band so we know where we know to find them.  MR would occasionally
change his CW freq up or down a kHz or two, and this made finding him a bit
tricky, although his signal always had the distinctive sound of a high speed
bumble bee!

73, Geo...

PS.  Ron, now we need the NE9U story.

George  Wagner, K5KG
Sarasota, FL
941-400-1960 cell

In a message dated 4/23/2013 12:22:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,