[FQP] possible changes in NF4A/M plans

Charlie Wooten NF4A nf4a at knology.net
Sun Apr 21 18:24:15 PDT 2013

One of the radio stations that is part of the Clear Channel group here in
Panama City burned up their transmitting antenna in late February....we have
been operating this station on a backup site that doesn't cover the area
that the main antenna covers and we are in the midst of a survey
period....it is imperative that we get back on the "big stick" with 100kw as
soon as possible.....the new antenna is being delivered Tuesday and will be
installed this week. The antenna will be mounted at the 1150 ft level on the
tower and weighs over 1200 lbs and is 110 ft long.....this is a big deal if
you know anything at all about towers.

With all of that being said, it looks like the antenna will be ready to tune
(using a network analyzer, etc) on Saturday. FM broadcasters don't accept
even a 1.1:1 SWR.....we like to get it down to less than 1.05:1 and lower if
possible due stereo performance, etc. Unless there are weather issues with
the tower crew (no work in the rain or winds over 25 mph at 1100 ft), I
might be stuck in WAG county where the tower is.....if the weather delays
the antenna installation and/or tuning, I will follow my schedule posted on
the FQP website.  I will try to venture away from the site as I can.....the
site is near JAC and CAH (within 10 miles) so I really expect to be able to
operate at least in BAY, WAG, CAH and JAC worst case.....BAY is very close
to the site.

Charlie NF4A