[FQP] 7O6T

n4dxi@arrl.net n4dxi at aol.com
Sat May 5 12:22:19 PDT 2012

I heartily agree with Bill, K4XS...the best way to deal with these
horrendous pileups is to decipher patterns and DX mode of
operation....where to reply and when.  That's the smart way.

That's fairly easy with simplex.

But with a world wide audience of new country seekers, split
operations, unannounced DX listening frequencies besides "UP" and
without access to sophisticated software tools such as Skimmer and some
of these mapping programs, what does one do especially when we are
talking about fractions of seconds for each QSO's?  Maybe the DX moves
on, maybe he pauses at that receive frequency, none the less, the DX is
faced with an instant wall of bedlam with each turnover.  Us mere
mortals are faced with either hopelessness or dogged determination.
And, yes, it is like a lottery except hopefully more often you win.

If you cannot find a pattern, or it's taking too long to find one, I
think its a better gamble to blindly call the DX "UP" frequency and
listen for a reply, then not transmit and continuously seek the last
caller almost like a dog chasing its tail....that's my reasoning.
Maybe it's a stretch, but if you can outsmart the others...pick a
frequency that is way up,  if you know the range.  Pause, do not
transmit immediately after the DX turns over, the QRM wall will be
overwhelming.  Listen to the DX, if he takes a long time to make calls,
he's probably searching frequencies for a readable signal, maybe you'll
luck out if you are in the clear at the extreme of his search.  And you
got to have patience.  I took me an hour to make a QSO with 7O6T on 15
m CW!  That's on a A3S tribander up 45 feet.

Of course, the best way to get DX is to have these world class stacked
towers....but that's another story....envy, envy.

Like P43A says "Amazing!"  If nothing else, listen to these operators
at 7O6T....world class.

73....John Bescher, N4DXI