[FQP] County lines

charlie carroll k1xx at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 24 11:12:09 PST 2012

Jack:
There's several ways you could go about it.
Streets and trips and a GPS receiver will show your route in S&t.
However, I've found that the county line mappings are hard to see in
S&t.  If you are by yourself, it can be very distracting.

Another way is to use CQ/X by NO5W.  Yes, this program has a huge
learning curve!  However, Chuck has taken a lot of the navigation issues
out of the picture by integrating GPS with his logger.  If you do the
before-hand planning, CQ/X can be very valuable.  It can tell you the
distance to the next country line as well as turning points.  On the
down side, the program has a huge learning curve.  Guess I said that
already.

Since this will be my 3rd FQP, I have a lot of county tracks prepared in
Google Earth.  I string all the info together and import it into CQ/X
for the operator in the back seat.  I also dump the same Google Earth
data into S&T for the driver on a second PC.

With the ability to get internet access on a smartphone, real-time
programs like Google earth and Google maps are also alternatives.

Let me know if you want more info.  Nice to see someone else is also
thinking about FQP.

73 charlie, k1xx