[FQP] FlQP WQ8RP(N8XX) SOABMixed QRP

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Mon Apr 30 12:53:35 PDT 2012

                     Florida QSO Party

Call: WQ8RP
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: SOAB Mixed QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 5 or so, I didn't keep track very well.

    40:   13      2
    20:   55     18
--------------------
Total:   68     20  CW Mults = 38  Ph Mults = 17  Total Score = 25,740

Club: Michigan QRP Club

Comments:

Interesting Party.  Sometimes difficult, if not impossible to "break the
cacophony of the pileups when finding a mobile in a rare county, but
many times I beat out "the big boys" with and accurately timed drop of a
call sign.

Using WQ8RP was a challenge, especially on phone, because it's much
longer than my own call, and probably not in the "call history database"
for logging programmes like N1MM.  Operating with a "cloud warmer" wire
antenna @<5 watts doesn't help breaking any pileups either. :)

Even though I worked K4A a couple times, I Missed W4A - don't recall if
I ever heard that call, but if so, I probably lost out in the pileup.
Was he one of the mobiles using a 1X1 call?  Those were the ones which
were hard to break into the herd of folks calling.

Thanks to Ed, AB8DF, and the Michigan QRP Club for the use of this call
for the weekend.  I originally borrowed the call for the QRPTTF contest,
but found that 14060 KHz and other "QRP Watering holes" were overrun
with Florida QSO parties, so quickly changed tactics.

Kudos to the organizers of this event!  Jolly good show!