[FQP] VE7FO's Newbie Contesters Getting Ready To Cannibalize The Counties (Or Maybe Just Count Them)

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 25 17:48:09 PDT 2012

Some of you may be aware of my and VE7IO's efforts to make new
contesters.  Well, a number of them are displaying competence now. This
will be our 11th training session for this contest season and their
first significant State QSO Party.

Some of you might even remember some years ago being called by Volusia
Escambia 7 Flagler Osceola.  Left quite a few guys wetting their pants
from laughing too hard once they got it.  Oddly, I don't think the
current K4OJ 1911 crew of K0LUZ and N4KM even had to laugh.  Due to
their obviously advanced age, I guess.

The plan is to do a multi/multi from VE7IO in search of a VE M/M FQP
record.  Don't want to do a M/S because, ahem, I hold that record.

Here's part of my promo piece to my ops.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Doesn't sound like there could be a lot of activity in this one.  After
all, now that you're accustomed to working hams from all around the
world, the number of Qs you're likely to make with just Florida stations
isn't going to be very exciting - Right?

WRONG!! WRONG!! WRONG!! WRONG!! WRONG!! WRONG!!

The state QSO parties can be a huge amount of fun and the FQP is one of
the best.  Scoring is based on the usual contacts x multipliers but, in
the state QSO parties, the multipliers are counties or parishes.  So
where's the excitement in that?  It comes from the fact that the rules
allow you to count QSOs with mobile stations in each county where they
are when you work them.  So, you can work KN4Y in Jefferson and count it
as a QSO and a new mult if you haven't worked Jefferson County so far.
"Hey, there he is again but now he's in Taylor so work him again.  Damn,
didn't get through the huge pileup and now he's in Lafayette.  Quick,
check the mobile itineraries on the FQP website to see who else is going
through Taylor and when 'cuz haven't got that mult yet so sure want to
be on the lookout for them.  OK, AD8J is supposed to hit Lafayette at
19:45.  Let's see, what frequency were they on when I last worked them?
  Better keep an eye on that freq when it's time for them to be there."

I believe there will be something like 15 mobiles running around the
State eagerly awaiting your call.

As you can see, there's a lot more strategy involved here than in the
usual contest.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

The Dayton after K4OJ died VE7IO came home with a FCG Remembers button
which he graciously gave me.  While I never met Jim, we used to banter
back and forth, trade jokes, etc. just as I'm sure he did with everyone
else.  I was very flattered and touched when he offered me a seat at
K4OJ for one of the major contests and regret to this day that I didn't
take him up on it.  The feelings weren't in the slightest diminished
when I learned that he wasn't at all discriminatory when he made these
offers.

I cried when ln announced the sad but expected news.

The button is displayed at my op position.  You can see it there in my
NCJ article on contest station ergonomics.

I'll be proudly wearing the button during our FQP effort and, instead of
TU we'll be saying OJ.

We might even use the phonetics "VOLUSIA ESCAMBIA 7 INDIANRIVER OSCEOLA"
  Too bad there's no other county name starting with I.  I worry that
people will think we're VE7IRO instead of VE7IO.  We'll see how it goes.

We probably won't be on for Sat but will be on Sun.

73, Jim	VE7FO

OJ