[FQP] [FCG] FW: Relative Signals in the FQP

Chris Plumblee chris.plumblee at gmail.com
Mon May 2 18:04:40 PDT 2011

My less informed but no less sincere opinion: it depends on your purpose.
K0BG seems to have his head on straight and appears to be technically on
point to this appliance operator. However, there are crucial differences
between HF mobile operating as a discipline and mobile contesting.

Mobile contesting as in the FQP is distinct from operating a mobile HF
station in a few distinct and important ways:

1. The majority of high-scoring entrants who make 2000+ QSOs are exclusively
or nearly exclusively operating CW, which requires a lower SNR. Accordingly,
you can get by with a weaker signal and still command a frequency.

2. Speaking of commanding the frequency, in FQP there are distinct
frequencies where mobiles can be found, and the majority of out of state
participants know where to look for them. Competition between home stations
and mobile stations is minimal. Consider this; micro-lite DXPeditions go to
a remote island a long way from the major ham population centers in EU and
the USA. They operate with 100w radios and verticals on the beach, but
nobody ever complains about their signal strength. They could be stronger if
they'd take an amplifier and bigger antennas, but they're not getting
stepped on, even with a weak signal.

3. Finally and most importantly, the caliber of operator in the mobiles in
FQP is typically very high. Better operators are going to find a way to make
more QSOs than average operators, even given crappy antennas.

All that said, I do believe that it's very likely that most of the mobiles
could improve their signals with more attention to K0BG's guidance. However,
it's not particularly important. W3LPL told a group of us once that some
contests (like Field Day, his example) are 579 contests, and others (like
CQWW) are 599+ contests. I think what he meant was that, to be competitive
in Field Day, you don't need to be the loudest guy on the band, you just
need to be relatively loud. FQP is the same. Being the loudest mobile won't
guarantee you the highest score. Being the mobile with the best technique
and fewest technical mishaps will put you in a position to score well.

73,
Chris WF3C

--
Chris Plumblee