[FQP] [FCG] W4ZW Observations of Relative Signals from the FQP

W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Mon May 2 15:01:04 PDT 2011

Yep, once a very long time ago as a teenager I ran a lot of traffic as well.
As for who gets it?  I would venture to say almost every CW guy.  It's
intuitive for a CW guy.  Heck, almost all of us went through that traffic
phase.  I was really into it and did TCC work for a while.

As for understanding it, you only have to listen to the big DX pile-ups on
CW to hear it when they use this technique at very QRQ (usually30+) to clear
the fast ops.  That speed also usually has the slower ops standby, but some
of them keep calling which sometimes makes  the EXCH a double send affair.
The net result is usually a completed Q before the slower guys finish their
call.  After the pile clears a bit, you can go back to slower speeds. Dan
was masterful at it.

Great technique!

73's from 10,000'

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW/Ø