[FQP] [FCG] APRS

Jim jdunbar28 at mchsi.com
Fri Apr 20 04:16:38 PDT 2007

Hello All,

I have been seeing all these APRS discussions, and my take is that if a
fixed based operator has internet access and can see all these APRS targets
out there, he is then able to see only their locations reported at a
specific time and the callsign of the APRS reporting station.

So, most likely if the vehicle is in motion or has moved previously, you
won't know where the mobile is precisely until the next APRS update.

Secondly, I don't think anyone will know what mode or frequency the mobile
station is working from an APRS display, so I don't think there is much
value in APRS position reporting

So, if you, don't know his frequency, operating mode, and maybe even the
propagation conditions from your location to his mobile position at the
time, then there is probably not much chance of working this mobile with the
assistance of APRS.

Your energy is probably best spent by just tuning for mobiles as we have
always done and not include APRS as another factor in the contest rules.

However, with technology advances, who knows, maybe in the future more meta
data attributes of an APRS target station will be displayed that provides
information such as his current frequency, power, operating mode, etc; etc;

As a side note, my company has been heavily involved in the integration of
new situational awareness (SA) technologies on the Special Operations Forces
(SOF) AC-130 Gunship aircraft here at our Modification complex in Crestview,
Florida. We have two 67,000 square foot hangars here, and we have many SOF
aircraft and rotary wing systems in here that we modify and then ship over
to the Theater as soon as possible.

We have deployed a system for the Warfighters that we developed known as the
Machine to Machine Situational Awareness (M2MSA) system. Basically we send a
series of near-real time situational awareness Tracks (icons) with their
associated Meta Data attributes over a secure Tactical SATCOM link from
tactical ground C4ISR nodes in Theater up to the Aircraft who are working
target areas.

Therefore, we are providing the aircrews with what we call a "Synchronized
Common Operational Picture" of the tactical battlespace on their Falcon View
Map displays during their missions. (This is kind of an APRS on
Sterioids)......

This provides the aircrews working specific targets with enhanced
situational awareness of all ground, maritime, and airborne platforms in the
overall BattleSpace.

The future is rapidly migrating to Network Centric Warfare Operations and
providing the warfighters with a continuous updated Enhanced Situational
Awareness (SA) picture to help "Shorten the Kill Chain" and allow them to
more effectively work multiple targets in a single mission.

Remember guys, that my colleagues in the SOF community, are working 24 x 7
over there in theater right now, as the OPS tempo has been very intense.

So, in summary, Situational Awareness (SA) tracks or SA Technologies, just
like APRS for amateurs have values for other reasons than for potential
assistance in a contest.

Advances in APRS are the kinds of things that would be useful for disaster
operations and/or Homeland Defense types of scenarios of the future.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Thanks,

Jim
K4PV