[FQP] [FCG] APRS

K1to at aol.com K1to at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 22:21:52 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/19/07 7:46:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lromero at ij.net
writes:

> >4)  My biggest concern is that single op non-FL stations accessing APRS
> info could gain what amounts to >spotting assistance, thereby placing them
> into a multi-op category.
>
> A valid concern, but if they are seriously entering FQP and relying on the
> APRS network for "spots", then they are not really serious.  Even over
> I-Gates, propagation into the APRS network of a specific station's location
> is not even close to "near real-time" as is the Spotting Clusters.
>
> Seriously, you would be much more effective in tuning and searching than
> going through all the rigmarole to find stations to work in rare counties
> over the APRS network.  On Find-U or K4IFR, you would need to know and enter
> the *callsign* of the station you're looking for to find it!
>
> In the case of "mobile" mobiles, in some instances, the mobile will have
> traveled all the way through a  county by the time that its position gets
> posted into the stream over an I-Gate.
>
> Also remember that there are several large "holes" in the Florida APRS
> network.  It is by no means even near 90% coverage of the state!  For
> instance, north of San Antonio on I-75, you have no digi coverage for miles
> until you get to near Ocala.  There is nothing between T-hassee and Panama
> City.  There is nothing north of Cedar Key till you get to Madison.  These
> are just the ones I am aware of from my travels with my Tiny Tracker in my
> car with a 5 watt transmitter.
>
> If the point is spotting mobiles in "rare" counties on APRS, then folks are
> in for a rude awakening.  If the county is rare because it has no HF active
> ham, chances are rare that it will have a Digi able to relay a low power
> mobile tracker into an I-Gate and then into the Internet APRS stream.
>
> APRS for FQP mobiles is kind of moot.  Although it would be fun to watch,
> you cant seriously contest and watch it at the same time.
>
> -lu-

Fantastic insight, Lu.  Thanks for contributing a voice of experience.

Looking ahead to future years, what does everyone think about writing a
clause into the rules about APRS usage?  I suspect that the holes in coverage will
be filled in and that the spots will become more real time.

I'm still unsure how much of an advantage this provides, though.  Anyone
accessing our FQP announced route page can plot a mobile's progress even without a
map.

73, Dan