[FQP] mobile window?

Jerry Keller k3bz at arrl.net
Thu Apr 19 17:14:21 PDT 2007

Ron... I think contest rules are published so that everyone concerned will
understand what they can do and what they cannot do in the contest.... the
objective being to make it a level playing field for all competitors.  Rules
should be clear and unambiguous.  No "interpretation" should be necessary.
The reasons are obvious.... if a rule is ambiguous or unclear, and players
are free to interpret it to their own advantage, there's potential for
making the playing field uneven. I don't think it's out of line to ask for a
rule clarification.... that's what rules committees are for.

You wrote: "Read and follow what it says in the rules.  If they say "you can
do this" ... that's what you do!  If they don't specifically say "you can't
do this", then it's probably OK!"  The word I have a problem with is
"probably".  Honestly, I don't mean to be picky, but rules shouldn't be
expressed as "probably"....  it's either OK or it's not.  I don't want to
guess.  Anyway, I think I know what you mean.... some situations don't need
a rule.... I agree, but not because it's "common sense" (everyone's is a
little different), but because in many instances it just doesn't matter much
what you do.

By the way, if there is a rules committee for the FQP, are you on it?  If
not, do you happen to know who is?

Thanks and 73, Jerry K3BZ