[FQP] APRS

CW Sanders no5w at consolidated.net
Thu Apr 19 05:47:52 PDT 2007

It's an interesting question but I don't think its one to get excited about.
I've thought about using APRS before but although I've done a lot
integrating GPS with my logging software I don't know much about APRS and
whether there would be decent coverage when out in the boonies. Would your
posted location really be up-to-date or would it indicate where you were 3-4
counties ago?

I agree that it borders on self-spotting but in a party with the great
activity levels and bottomless pileups like the FQP I really doubt that it
would provide much advantage to the mobile. It would be interesting to hear
what some of the Minnesota mobiles thought of their use in the recent MN QP
where they advertised use of APRS.

No plans to use APRS in this FQP but may give it a try at some point out of
curiosity.

Only 9 days, 3 hours, and 16 minutes to FQP07!

Chuck
NO5W/M