[FQP] Florida QSO Party--6 Days and Counting

Tom Smith kk4ta at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 17 17:55:23 PDT 2005

I can't believe the QSO party is under a week away.  There has been
surprisingly little traffic on the reflectors about it.  For me that has
been because I have been so busy getting ready to go mobile for the
first time in this contest.  I have tried to resolve as many problems
before the event as possible, though I am sure that Murphy will raise
his head sometime . . .

Work may still find a way to spoil my weekend or at least limit the
enjoyment, but I'm trying to ignor that now.  The antennas are installed
(primary and backup), ignition noise has been decreased as much as
possible, all equipment has been installed less the final version of the
right seat operating table.  Radios, inverters, and computers have been
checked for interoperability, and all seems to be OK.  I have even
devised a way to run high power if that should become necessary due to
conditions, but, due to the issues it presents, that option will
probably not be taken.

I am trying to load my route in streets and trips and then using GPS to
plot our position and point out approaching county changes.  Has anyone
else done this?  My route keeps changing and will remain flexible
throughout the contest.  work may keep me from traveling into North
Florida, but if it doesn't, I may try to run the panhandle rather than
coming back south on Sunday.

I have a method of reloading my operating program for various counties.
I have to check out that a bit more.

The problem solving involved with creating the best mobile system
possible is challenging and tiring, but, I have to say, it has been the
most fun I have had in ham radio for a while.

K4OKE will be used by the Okeechobee Amateur radio club this year. The
plan is to operate as a multi from the county EOC as a warm-up for field
day. We did some antenna work at the EOC today. Hopefully the OKE qso's
will remain high as Joe, W4SAA hits the road cw only with a new ham as
drive, David, KI4JKO, who attended the meeting at W1YL's with me last
year, and I go mobile SSB only with my wife Adela, KI4GGV as driver.

What else is going on out there?  Anything New?  It surely would be fun
to hear. I am getting excited and really looking forward to the
challenge.

73 to all and see you in the party.

Tom
KK4TA