[FCG] Re: [FQP]Two weekends next year?

Tom Smith kk4ta at adelphia.net
Thu May 6 00:43:02 CDT 2004

K1TO says:

"the thought has crossed our minds!  The biggest dilemma that we face
right
now is that the mobiles tend to concentrate on CW and the SSB activity
is
diluted as a result."

As a relative newbee (4 years contesting and 27 years ham radio) I have
often wondered why cw qso's are worth twice the points of ssb qso's,
moot of course except in mixed category competition.

Funny thing is, I always hear how difficult SSB is mobile, so most ops
run cw mobile in our party, with the bonus of getting twice the points.
Will someone please explain the concept to me? Perhaps the system is to
encourage cw, yet ssb appears to be the mode to encourage because of the
lack of participation. Most participants say it is more difficult to run
ssb mobile than cw and there are less participants in that mode mobile
so why don't we change the rules to level the playing field and give the
sidebanders the 2 points.

Shields up

Tom, KK4TA