[FQP]FQP Mobile Configurations

K4LOG k4log at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 18:28:59 CDT 2004

<snip>  It would be interesting in finding out what all the rovers were
using as far a radios/antennas/logging software etc... <snip>

The NJ4M/m was pretty much the same used last year in the 2003 running of
the FQP:

last years web page www.poolspapro.com/K4LOG.htm with pictures and
descriptions

2004 had a change to a original Icom 706, using the hustler antennas
pictured for 10-15-20M, and some Texas bug catcher style<?>  monster for 40m
tied off with nylon string. This year I had to pull it (40M) off Sun morning
due to the nut that secures the top whip section Broke Sat night when I was
traveling home Sat and didn't judge a low hanging tree very well!  Using
Ron, WD4AHZ's Compaq laptop using  NA (12v) ,NO Inverter
for possible noise. A Five way switch for changing bands. Homebrew 706
interface for computer control of rig. AHZ's CW interface, Paddles MFJ Keyer
and a Heil headset w/PTT  used for SSB by the driver(me). Since the Jeep
Cherokee is a unibody construction, the antennas mounted to bare steel from
the home made roof rack. Rig and all other components were grounded through
a Loop shared by Battery and Chassis. Didn't help with the line noise we had
both days Sigh.. Still the Antennas seem to play beautifully.

Two tuners were used, Both MFJ's one used strictly for the 40M antenna (set
it and forget it style, since it would be dark when utilized) and the other
for the other bands. As we drove to our starting position 3hrs south of us
we discovered a intermittent SWR on the 20m hustler. Turned out to be the
damn 2m antenna bending at highway speed and touching the mast of the other
antenna. So we stopped and ripped it OFF!!!

Very strange but we were told we were loud most of the time on the road for
a mobile but didn't help us losing all the folks lost in the line noise, so
many callers and all I could do was continue running after several attempts
to work them. That really sucked!!! Wish it would have rained the night
before to knock it down some. Oh well..

Bought a Laptop and mount used by a NY police car on EBay for 100 bucks
hopping to use it for this years running but being sealed aluminum and
magnesium case, there was no place to load the software. I picked up a LAN
card from my bro in law to get NA going on it. But since It arrived on
Friday I didn't know if it was worthy to utilize for something this
important. Really like the lighted keyboard on it!!! there is always next
year.

BTW we had brought my oldest Daughter Britney, 10 out with us Sat and she
told us she wanted to head out again on Sun. I'm so proud she is asking how
she can get her license!! guess I'll  have to break her in at FD in Sarasota
this year. May need TOad to help with that.

but in short WOW, I  had such a great time in my second FQP. Even thinking
of running up next year to the GQP to play in the southern counties and have
some fun.

Thanks to OJ for his inspiration.

LOG \ Richard

Hope Ron doesn't post the same info as I. but I had to add something.