[FQP]FQP Mobile Frequency Dilemma

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz at gte.net
Wed Apr 7 11:04:31 CDT 2004

Several folks have suggested, we set aside "mobile only" frequencies for
the FQP mobiles.  Obviously, the folks in Florida usually can't hear
each other, so there is always the possibility of folks ending up on top
of each other.

The log checking process, points out the "not in log" scenario of
exactly this happening.  Someone thinks they are working one station,
when in fact, that station is working someone else.

The "suggested" FQP frequencies are:

CW - plus or minus 35 khz up
Phone - plus or minus 7.260, 14.260, 21.335, and 28.485 MHz.

(and these are not perfect ... 7.035 MHz is the middle of the digital
band in Europe, for example)

"Suggested" frequency means this is the "middle" frequency ... and one
should tune up and down from this point to find stations ... NOT have
everyone park on this frequency and call CQ!  (That's why we added "plus
and minus").  It also means, folks trying to work Florida don't have to
tune the entire band to find activity ... it will be concentrated around
the "suggested" frequencies.

I have NO idea how the band sounds from outside of Florida.  Are all the
Florida guys pretty much packed in together?  How "wide" is the
activity?  Do we need to specify a "range" of frequencies, instead of
just one "suggested" frequency?  Is there enough activity to get rid of
a frequency limit all together, and would that spread folks out more ...
but not enough to "tick off" the non-contesters or interfere with other
operating events - other contests, submarines, etc., etc.?

At one point, we stated in the rules to leave the "suggested frequency"
open for mobile stations.  This lead to three problems.  Some home
stations ignored this, many mobiles didn't stray far from the
"suggested" frequency, and the rule was pretty much unenforceable, so it
was removed.

With the popularity of the FQP, and at the suggestions of some folks,
maybe it's time to revisit the idea of setting aside a specific portion
for mobiles.

So, with about 2 1/2 weeks to go before the FQP, I propose the following
"experiment" for this years FQP, to try to help the mobiles and those
chasing them.  Using the "suggested" frequencies as a guide, I propose
that mobile stations work frequencies BELOW the "suggested" frequency,
and home stations work ABOVE the suggested frequency.  This will help
separate the mobile and home station activity, and for 40 CW, it may
help take the mobiles out of the European digital QRM, and not move them
up into the SSB portion ... figuring home stations have a better chance
of overcoming the QRM.

Does this sound like something that might be workable, at least as an
"experiment" for this year?  Does anyone else have another idea or
suggestion?  If it's successful and works, then we can add this to the
rules next year (too late for this year).

I realize it's going to be hard to get the word out to everyone in this
short amount of time, but quite a few, if not most, of the serious
competitors (mobile and home stations), are subscribed to either the FQP
or FCG reflector, so they'll get the word.  I'll also post the
"proposal" (or any suggested and agreed upon alternative) on the FQP Web
site, to help spread the word there.

Any thoughts or additional suggestions?

Thanks, Ron  WD4AHZ