[FQP]FQP Log Status

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz at gte.net
Thu Oct 2 16:51:38 CDT 2003

I have recently completed the process of going over the 647 logs
received for the 2003 FQP, making sure they conform to the Cabrillo
format.  Of those 647 logs, 83 needed some form of "modification" (such
as adding missing fields and data to the Cabrillo file due to logging
software issues), and 160 logs needed to be generated from scratch
(arrive in unusable or non-Cabrillo format).

Why did we do this?  Because we are having some log checking software
written, which requires all logs be in the correct Cabrillo format, in
order to be checked correctly.

In checking the logs, I was surprised to discover some of the well-known
logging software programs generate improper Cabrillo files.  I hope to
put together a list of the programs (and versions) that generate a
proper Cabrillo file, so folks can upgrade to the correct version, or
complain to the software writers about the "bug" in their program!

Why would I do this?  Because for the 2004 FQP, we hope to have an
automated "robot" to acknowledge receipt of your logs.  This "robot"
will also check the log for the proper Cabrillo format ... and if it is
not correct, your log will not be accepted.

Why are we doing this?  So we don't have to check 647 logs and "fix" the
bad ones in the future ... which will allow us to process and check logs
faster, and get the results out sooner!

And if you don't have logging software, don't worry - we've got you
covered too!  For 2004, we will have a Cabrillo Generator Web page,
where you can manually type in your log data, and a proper Cabrillo file
will be produced and submitted!

73, Ron  WD4AHZ