[FQP]Re: [FCG] FQP Web Site

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 17 17:20:55 CDT 2003

Hi Jim,

Yes, you can import text from Adobe into Excel but it's a pain if the
text is in columnar format as you can't select blocks of text, just
lines.  This means that if there is a column with a bunch of scores and
a column beside it with soapbox or what ever text, you get stuff from
both columns.  i.e., the line extends across the whole page with no
recognition of column boundaries.

Once it's in Excel you can edit out the unwanted text but it's tedious
if you're doing a lot of it.  I used this technique to find out how many
FD call signs there were in each Section for 2001 from the ARRL FD pdf.
 It took hours.

Well, I just this moment found a workaround for this problem which I'll
describe below after I finish this bit.

To do it, open the pdf file in Acrobat Reader, from the menu choose the
Text Select tool (a bit to the right of the "hand"), select the desired
text with the mouse, and hit CTRL-C.  Now go to the Excel spreadsheet,
put the cursor at the top left corner of where you want the data to go
and hit CTRL-V.  Now go to the Excel Menu and choose Data|Text To
Columns...  This will enable you to parse selected portions of the text
into columns by using Space as the delimiter.

Workaround.  Well, it isn't really a workaround, it is the right way to
do it.

While checking this out to make sure I got the instructions right I
found that if, in Acrobat, you click the little downpointing triangle
immediately to the right of the Text Selection Tool you find a Column
Selection Tool.  Choose this.  Now you can select stuff from individual
columns in a pdf.  So, select the items in the scores column you want
with the mouse, hit CTRL-C, go to the place in the spreadsheet where you
want to drop it and hit CTRL-V.  Voila, not only does it copy the stuff
into the spreadsheet, it also puts it into columns for you without you
having to do anything extra.  Wish I had known this earlier.

I wouldn't have discovered this if you hadn't asked the question.

Any word on how long we have to wait for the next FQP?   :-D

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO