[FQP]Re: [CQ-Contest] Rabbits and Love Bugs and the K4FCG mobile saga - ...

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Tue Apr 29 14:10:18 CDT 2003

In a message dated 4/29/2003 11:34:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kc1f at adelphia.net writes:

> -  K4FCG and K4FQP were consistently s7 to s9.  N4TO did seem a bit weaker
> consistently, if I remember correctly.  Maybe Doppler shift from driving
> faster ?  I had the following QSO   totals with the mobiles:  N4TO 19,
> K4FCG 18, K4FQP 18 (3 were on SSB), W5WMU 16, KU8E 12, W4SAA 11, W9HB 10.
> Were you all running essentially the same power ?
>
> -  It's also apparent that the mobiles may have the most fun.  Wish I could
> get something together for next weekend here !  We also have 67 counties,
> hi.  So, is maximizing the miles a key factor in winning ?  How often did
> you guys operate while stationary ?  Who did the most miles ?

Stu,

Tnx for all the Qs.  We were running 100 w with the engine on and about 60
with it off (lower supply voltage without the alternator).  Probably 95% of
the Qs were @ 100w.
Antennas were mag mounts - 2 Hamsticks and 1 Hustler whip, all on the roof of
Explorer.

Our engine and laptop DC converter noise were most objectionable on 15 and
10, so many times we stopped to work those bands...at times we just unplugged
the laptop DC converter to reduce the noise and keep on driving.  We did a
total of 1100 miles and, yes, doing max counties seems to be a winning
strategy.  After about 30 minutes in a county, the pileups would subside, so
at that point we'd want to be to the next county.  Due to routing or making a
wrong turn, we were in some counties for an hour, and that was too long.

Tnx agn...73, George & Jim, VE7ZO - K4FQP/m team

George I. Wagner, K5KG
Productivity Resources LLC
941-312-9450
941-312-9460 fax