[FQP]Why I did the 2003 FQP, W4WLC

Dave w4wlc at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 28 19:23:43 CDT 2003

Why I did the 2003 FQP

I will have to give a little history to explain this.  I got my Novice
ticket (WN5QMW) in the Fall/Winter of 1975 thanks to K0RAJ (my Elmer).
Along came marriage and kids and my last HF contact was as a Novice in June
1983.  I never let the license expire (the one good thing I did) and
upgraded to Tech+ in 1988 I believe.  During this time I was WB5QMW, N5MAI,
KE4YAY, and back to WB5QMW.  The only rig I had for 15 years was a 2 meter
handy-talky.  I moved from Melbourne, FL to the Panama City area in June
2001.  In August of 2002 I found the Panama City ARC by accident.  What a
great group of guys and gals.  I got the bug again and upgraded to Extra in
November 2002 and changed my call to W4WLC.  Did a lot of radio research and
got the Icom 756 Pro II in February 2003.  So I have only been back into HF
two months.  NF4A (Charlie) gave the club a little spill on the FQP and
using CT and NA.  So loaded up CT, read the rules, set up the voice keyer
and went for it.  If I hadn't took so many breaks, some of them up to an
hour long I would have likely done much better.  I need to start working on
my CW again (I enjoyed it as a Novice) so I can play both sides.

That's my Ham life story, boring but true.

My biggest problem or concern was causing interference to another Florida
station.  Naturally I couldn't hear them and someone would tell me that
there were two Florida station on the freq.  I would move to another free
spot (they were hard to find).  My apologies to anyone I may have caused
QRM.  I found it hard to hold a frequency, I would get squeezed out.  I
guess that is just part of the game.  All in all I found it an enjoyable
experience.  I am a motorcycle rider and I found that beautiful weather we
had over the weekend calling me, but I resisted.  Maybe motorcycle mobile
next year?

Dave
W4WLC
Lynn Haven, FL

> Jim wrote:

> Please let us know why you decided to get on for this one, and - if you
> would be so kind, let us know the highs and lows of being a new entrant.
>
> Welcome to the fun - if you wanna try some more contesting check out the
> web site for the Florida Contest Group, sponsors of the FQP at:
>
> http://www.qsl.net/fcg
>
> Thanks again for joining us... of course we hope you will be back in 363
> days... think I got that right 2004 is a leap year...
>
> 73,
>
> Jim, K4OJ
>

> Dave wrote:
> > This was first contest I have ever worked.  I took a lot of breaks, had
> > lot of fun especially during the runs.  I worked all SSB with a G5RV at
28
> > feet.  The ICOM 756 Pro II worked great.  I guess I need get back into
CW,