[FQP]W4WLC unoffical results....

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 18:53:44 CDT 2003

Thanks for getting on, Dave

The Florida QSO Party grows each year, we are at the point where for it
to grow it its next evolutionary phase we need more folks like yourself
operating from home stations... this adds to the fun for the guys on the
other end as we pretty much so can guarantee sweepability in the FQP
barring acts of God...so, if an entrant from out of state gets on and
works all 67 counties should he QRT... we hope not - besides "insurance"
QSOs with other mobiles passing through a given mult if enough guys
operate in the contest the fact that you swept will be kinda "ho hum"
and it then comes down to who worked the most outside of Florida
stations! We have been focused on covering the counties with the mobiles
on CW since we figure most home stations who would casually get on would
do so on SSB... pretty much so like you did when you took the plunge
this weekend.

I am curious if you would share with us why you decided to get your feet
wet in the FQP.  We need more guys like yourself who have not previously
been active in the FQP, or any contest for that matter, to turn on their
rigs and hand out QSOs - being at the "rare" end of the pileup is fun.
Its almost like being exotic DX on some far away island.  For one
weekend a year anyone with a home station can join the fun and enjoy
being "wanted".  There is a confirmed rumor that this weekend one
Florida entrant had so many out of state guys calling him he had to
operate split frequency so the callers would not cover him up! N4PM was
taking callers up 5 KHz!

Please let us know why you decided to get on for this one, and - if you
would be so kind, let us know the highs and lows of being a new entrant.

Welcome to the fun - if you wanna try some more contesting check out the
web site for the Florida Contest Group, sponsors of the FQP at:

http://www.qsl.net/fcg

Thanks again for joining us... of course we hope you will be back in 363
days... think I got that right 2004 is a leap year...

73,

Jim, K4OJ