[FQP]NJ4M/M Saturday

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz at gte.net
Sun Apr 27 01:39:14 CDT 2003

Hey Gang ...

What a day!  Hit MTE, HAR, HIG, OKE, GLA, HEN, PAL pretty much on schedule.

Made a side trip to visit N4BP in BRO and lost some time there (but the
chat and the stretch was good!).  Finished BRO and then DAD.

Got onto the road into MON (we think) but the road (Route Number) was
not marked as per the map, there was no County Line sign and we didn't
know the exact mileage from our turnoff to the county line ... so we
were uncertain as to exactly where we were, so turned around (losing
more time) and couldn't activate MON on our first opportunity.  Wanted
to try a second entry point into MON, but by that time it was pitch dark
and the road was wet ... and we ended up passing the "dirt road" (again,
the Route number was not marked) into MON.  Sorry we couldn't help out
the masses on that one.

We continued with CLR (seems like a BIG County!), LEE, and ended the
contest in CHA.  Since we fell behind, we didn't have time to make it
into DES.

We were "Mixed Mode" and attempted SSB QSO's from all but LEE and CHA
(the CW pileups were tremendous on 40 from LEE and CHA!) ... but the SSB
QSO numbers were rather disappointing.  A few of the guys we did work,
said "nice signal" ... so where was everyone?  Couldn't get anything
going at all.

Getting ready to put the home station back together to get on the air
from (SAR) Sunday.  Look for WD4AHZ on CW and K4LOG (possibly along with
K4SXY) working Mixed from SAR tomorrow.

Only hit rain in BRO, had a couple nice lightning flashes in Western
DAD, and the cooler WX kept the Love Bugs off the roads (or was it all
our RF?)

All in all, K4LOG and I had a great time!  Thanks for the Q's and hope
we helped giving out a few needed mults.

73, Ron