[Cwo] 2014 Summary Before Voting

Jim jtalens at verizon.net
Tue Sep 17 13:13:22 PDT 2013

I can see a year when there is a joint FOC - CWops QSO Party.  Until that happens, which may be the first year after pigs fly, we avoid FOC.

There is interesting division regarding the impact of NA Sprint on CWO and vice versa.  I wish it were just a a matter of a handful of operators shaved from CWO  participation in one session.  It likely will impact all three sessions to some degree.  Let's say 20 members are lost to CWO overall and 50 are lost to the adjoining CWops session.   At the same time, we don't know how many CWops members will be lost to the OH, HI and KS QSO parties. Might there be 20 such members?  My guess is fewer.  But as Rob has noted pointedly, and as has John, at least with NA Sprint there is no direct time conflict. Not selecting Aug 23 means the sponsors of the three QSO parties will not be annoyed with us.  Also, we won't be tangling with whoever is in fact playing in those state QSO parties, including numerous non-CWops operators (some of whom could be potential CWops nominees if they don't get pissed at us!).  That alone might be a deciding factor.  It is no fun for guys to be contesting different contests at the same time.   Sept 6  also means no political issues with JA and thus no negative impact on our efforts to bring more of them into the CWops fold. On rethinking this with the forgoing weighting, I need to shift to thinking Sept 6 as ever so marginally better for us for 2014 CWO.

Jim, N3JT