[Cwo] Some thoughts...

k6rb at baymoon.com k6rb at baymoon.com
Mon Sep 16 14:27:43 PDT 2013

I think we need a policy statement for CW Open with regard to choosing
the Saturdays on which we hold it.

For example:

Tier One Conflicts -

    Popular CW only contest held same day/time
    Popular international contest held same day/time

Tier Two Conflicts -

    Popular SSB/RTTY contest that could syphon lots of players, same
day/time
    Popular national contests (e.g. NAQP, SS, CQP, RAC) same
day/time
    Less popular national/international contests - CW only or
multimode.
    Popular CW only contest preceding or following CWO by less than an
hour

You see where I'm going with this. We need some criteria to use when
having to make choices about Saturdays. One says "we can't conflict
with SAC;" another says "we can't be on the same day as CW
Sprint;" someone else says "TX QSO Party conflicts."

If we have a policy statement that says something like "CW Open
will be held on a Saturday where it does not conflict, concurrently, with
any popular CW only or international contest" then we have rules for
the road. Right now, it's lots of diverging opinions.

Rob K6RB