[Cwo] Awards

k6rb at baymoon.com k6rb at baymoon.com
Wed Sep 4 11:50:14 PDT 2013

I know that if CW Open persists, long term, and continues to grow,
someone is going to win a glass trophy running 100 watts into a vertical
or dipole antenna. If there are enough participants in a region to sustain
100 Q/hr rates for a full four bands on a single band, it will be possible
for that LP operator with his/her wire antenna to either win or place in
the top 10 for that region. The reason is score does not depend on
distance - just total numbers of different callsigns worked.

We don't discriminate between categories (HP, LP and QRP) with regard
to regional high-session scores and plaques. But the glass trophy should
be special and awarded to the single top scorer in a session in a
region.

Speaking just for myself, I don't participate in contests to win
trophies, plaques or certificates. I do it for the rush of working 100+
Q/hr for as long as I am able. The award is incidental. So, it would not
dissuade me from participating in CW Open knowing my chances of winning a
glass trophy are not great - whether I was running full legal, LP or
QRP.

But, dissenting opinions are healthy. In the end, we should do what
seems to be the prevailing opinion coupled with realistic budget
limitations.

Rob K6RB

I think the matter of running low power is the operator's choice to
run the race on a pony instead of a horse. Same race. Sure, those who
handicap themselves can compete with others similarly situated but not for
an award that is the same in kind as the overall all-out winner. I have
tried 100 watts in contests and have been surprised at being awarded a
certificate. Most of the serious competitors were running high power. I
even ran QRP for one big contest. I thought I deserved a plaque just for
the effort! I also vowed never to do it again.

Jim N3JT

Sent from my Verizon Wireless
4G LTE Smartphone