[Cwo] preliminary report for CWO 2012

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Fri Sep 7 21:25:53 PDT 2012

Jim,

I don't think I'm being overly anal about checking names.  Take other
competitive events like Sprint and NAQP. They do the same thing.
What makes CWO different from CWT is that this is THE competitive event
where we give out trophies. Scores are close at the top, so log checking is
a must.  Making CWO a top ranking CW competition was my marching orders
when I signed up, and I aim to keep pushing for that distinction. Maybe I'm
being a bit overly dramatic, but that's my feeling.

If your friend sends you his name as Pedro, yet his log says Pete .. then
you WILL get dinged for that QSO because there is a mis-match between what
he says he sent you and what you copied. I suggest that you tell him about
this. I have no way of knowing about such friendships. Now, if he sends
Pedro, and you copy Pedro, all would be copacetic IF he edits his log
before sending it in and changes his name to Pedro for that QSO.  Then it
works fine. Names do not have to be all the same. They only need to match
on a QSO by QSO basis.

As to the "Name" issue, yes .. your logs do indeed have "Name" as your sent
name instead of "Jim". For example:
QSO: 7034 CW 2012-09-01 1200 N3JT 1 *Name* KE1B 1 RICH

Now, as I said earlier, this is a very common error. There are two ways to
fix this.  First (the right way), setup N1MM (or whatever you're using) so
that the logger knows your real name.  "Name" is just a place holder
because the logger wasn't told your real name.

The other method is to open your log in a text editor (Notepad, NOT Word).
Then do Ctrl-H to do a global replace of "Name" with "JIM". Click on
"Replace All".  Done!  It's really quite easy.  I just did it to your log
and now that QSO looks like this:
QSO: 7034 CW 2012-09-01 1200 N3JT 1 JIM KE1B 1 RICH

All the other QSOs are also corrected. Then save the file and submit.

73, Alan  AD6E