[Cwo] preliminary report for CWO 2012

Jim Talens jtalens at verizon.net
Fri Sep 7 11:45:07 PDT 2012

I understand what you are trying to do and why, Alan.  However, I think you
are being unnecessarily strict on this point.   While it is laudable that
you be a strict log checker, the overall impact of not having NAME in the
sender's log seems trivial against the other errors of callsign and serial
number.   Besides, the fact is that N1MM clearly shows "Jim" in the exchange
block but the Cabrillo file just says "Name."   So now I have to go through
all these and change them?  I am not anxious to do that.   Come to think of
it, I need to check to see if NAME appeared in the summary at the top or
everywhere throughout the log.  I don't\ remember as I type this message.

On another issue, you should know that some guys give a different name as a
humorous twist to the exchange.  For example, W1UU always gives me "Pedro"
in lieu of "Pete": in all on-air CWops events.  True, he should probably
indicate that in his log for those QSOs, but if he does not then I may be
penalized when in fact I copied what he sent to me.  So this is reason for
me to wonder if focusing on the name field is appropriate or necessary,
Alan.

I have not yet received any notice from you regarding my erroneous "name"
label in my logs.  I think you said you were sending warnings to those who
did that so they can resubmit.

73,

Jim, N3JT