[Cwo] For the upcoming CW OPEN

k6rb at baymoon.com k6rb at baymoon.com
Mon Nov 28 08:36:26 PST 2011

Atsu san,

Thank you for your note. In CQ WW CW I worked 172 different JA stations
(including you, thank you!). Some were clearly HP, but many were LP and
even QRP. If we could attract half of those participants to do one or more
CWO sessions, it would be a huge success.

Here is what must be understood. It is possible for someone running LP and
a modest antenna to win a session. If a JA station works 80 other JA
stations and, say, 80 different US stations in a session, that would give
him 160 x 160 points, or 25,600. That would be a top 10 score for that
session and would require a rate of only 40 QSOs per hour. If that same
station worked 80 JAs, 20 BAs, and 100 different US stations (50 QSOs per
hour), the score would be 40,000 points. In CWO 2011, that would have been
enought to WIN that session!!! Here, the poor man wins (hi) because the
mults do not depend upon distance and power, but only on the number of
different stations you can work.

I agree with you that CWops needs to encourage new people to try CW, but
CW OPEN is not designed to do that. If we started to add in different
factors for types of key and so on, it would dilute the main purpose which
is for people who are already CW contest participants to try this new one.

What makes it special is that it is not a contest where a QRO station with
big antennas is a sure winner. The more hams who participate in CWO, the
more it is likely that someone with LP and a wire antenna could win a
session. That's what is so interesting about it. And, we have to get that
message across.

You do not have to send the emails; I will do that. I just need you to
help translate the invitation into Japanese using Kanjii. Then, send me
back the translation and I will embed it in the emails that I send.

73,

Rob K6RB