[Cwo] modules for WriteLog and N1MM

k6rb at baymoon.com k6rb at baymoon.com
Tue May 3 09:09:29 PDT 2011

If we can get a CW OPEN module for N1MM, we're good to go. If we can get
one for WriteLog, we're even better. I would not worry about any of the
others, at this point, and just focus on those two. Those who are wed to
WIN-TEST will lose out if those developers shine us on. This is not a
state QSO party - this is a truly global contest.

Okay, so can we identify who wrote the current CWT modules for N1MM and
WriteLog? Those would be the people I would focus on first. They already
understand the multiplier structure - it's the same. The only differences
are the exchange, and since that field is already an alphanumeric (e.g.
member number or S/P/C), that should be a no brainer.

But, it will be an easier sell if we contact the people who actually did
the modules. Al, you use WriteLog, so perhaps you know who can give us the
answer? I would not try to work through W5XD. Maybe the K9 guy would be a
better first shot. I know that K0PC (Pat) wrote the WriteLog module for
NCCC Sprint, but I have no idea who did the CWT module. Same with N1MM.

We really need to light a fire under this one, because this is a potential
fly in the ointment. I'm less worried about having the adjudication
software done in time, because that can be done anytime after August. The
logging software is CRITICAL.

I'm going to begin my plan of attack for publicity today. I'm going to ID
all the media and clubs I want to contact, and then create the timing.
It's tricky. If I contact them too soon, and they talk about it too soon,
by the time August rolls around, it may be old news. On the other hand, if
I do it too late, then we run the risk of missing the boat.

My gut says get the news out by mid-May to the media and by mid-June to
the clubs. We can do a follow-up blast in late July to make sure it gets
reinforced.

My first data grab for clubs to contact is the clubs list in 3830. I'm
also going to appeal to CWops members who are members of clubs to write it
up for their respective reflectors, or talk it up at meetings. This
grass-roots approach can pay huge dividends. The key is to have a ton of
stations calling "CQ CWO" or "CQ CW" when the whistle blows.

If we can get a huge participation in contest 1, we will almost certainly
get good carryover to contest 2 and contest 3. So, the focus is to get
people on the air at 1200Z on August 20.

Rob K6RB