[Cwo] some initial reflections 3 vs 4 hours

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Thu Aug 25 11:01:22 PDT 2011

I understand the arguments, but I counter that CWO is meant to be a
"serious" competition unlike the CWT. In that vein, there is no problem with
having to beg a bit at the end. It's part of the game.  Like N6RO says; "it
builds character"   ;-)  For those who just want some fun, nothing says they
can't drop out after 3 hours.

As I remember, my rate at the end of Sessions 1 and 2 was not zero.  I
missed Session 3 and I gather that was more of a bust in NA due to the late
hour .. but that was expected.  Session 3 was supposed to be the golden
session for Asia and EU .. not for us here in NA.

Yes, propagation changes - but not so much compared to the change between
Sessions.  Again, it's part of the game. If Asia were in play this year, the
start of the first Session would have been fantastic for us here on the
other coast.

Let's keep the 4 hour sessions and work to improve international
participation. That is our biggest problem.

73, Alan  AD6E