[Cwo] CW Open team signups

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Tue Aug 9 10:16:43 PDT 2011

John,

First, thanks for doing this.  Glad to hear it went well.  I'm not a
baseball fan at all, but my son-in-law is a Giants fanatic so we were there
last night (Giants lost 5-0).  Oh well...

Teams are competing against all other teams in one large pot. Team scores
are the sum of all members of that team over ALL three events. So, if a
particular team member only enters one session, that is his contribution to
the team. That is analogous to my entering only 3 hours of NAQP while on a
team. If a team only competes in one session they are still compared to
teams that entered two or three, so they will probably be well down in the
results.

So, the answer to question #1 is NO and #2 is YES - - but they won't do as
well in the results.

Somehow I thought this was covered in a FAQ, but it isn't .. so, good
question!

How about this addition to FAQ (or add to the TEAM rule):
*  Team score is the sum of all team members' scores in all time periods
that they choose to enter.

This puts some "peer pressure" on team members to enter more than just one.

Another little issue is what do we call these three events?  In the rules
they are referred to as "time periods" but we've been using "events",
"sessions" (etc) interchangeably.  Any thoughts on that?  I don't think it's
a problem.

Another minor issue is in the FAQ, the Cabrillo example would be more useful
if the example were spaced out as a real log would look such that multiple
Qs line up in columns... like this:

   - QSO: ***** ** yyyy-mm-dd nnnn ********** nnnn aaaaaaaaaa **********
   nnnn aaaaaaaaaa
   - QSO: 14042 CW 2011-09-20 1200 N5TJ          1 JEFF       N6TR
   1 TREE

Yesterday, someone else offered another logger for a CWO compatibility
check. His only issue was spacing out the data to make it human readable.
I'll send a separate note about that later. Also, the time "0000" is not
really a legal time since the second session ends at 2359z  :-)   I know,
this is nit picking...

Yes, we do step on NAQP SSB, but there is plenty of time in NAQP when CWO is
NOT running.
No way to escape stepping on someones' toes.

73, Alan  AD6E