[ARDF] GPS Considerations

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 14:43:55 GMT 2019

Several years ago the IARU Region 1 ARDF Working Group added a rule (T4.2)
that permits the use of GPS devices lacking map displays. Some have assumed
that there is no navigation assistance possible without a digital map.
Those folks assumed that T4.2 effectively banned all GPS navigation
assistance during a competition. Those persons were mistaken. There is
considerable navigation support that GPS can provide to ARDFers even if no
map is presented. Some have begun utilizing those GPS navigational aids in
international competition.

Having been an EE who worked with GPS as part of my job and hobbies, and
having created several GPS-related App Store apps for smartphones, I
believe that I can speak with some authority on the capabilities of GPS and
the assistance it can provide. To encourage informed discussion on the
subject I have written a white paper. It is available at no cost and may be
shared freely by all. A pdf version is attached and the latest update to
the white paper should always be accessible here:
http://books.apple.com/us/book/id1488654197

No national ARDF team wants to put itself at a disadvantage. Since GPS
assistance is currently allowed under the rules applied to most ARDF World
Championships (WC) there is strong pressure for the same assistance to be
permitted at competitions used to determine national teams. Not doing so could
prevent a team from being adequately equipped to compete against other
teams that are fully utilizing GPS capabilities. Because of the
gravitational tug to conform to WC rules, all national teams are affected
by the decisions made by the dominant regional organizations. Therefore,
all national organizations should represent their points of view on the
subject to IARU regional ARDF rules makers.

This thread is not for debating GPS issues. The facts are laid out in the
white paper. Those who disagree with the facts or recommendations in the
attached document should write their own white paper, or contact me
directly with their concerns.

73,
Charles E. Scharlau - NZ0I
nz0i at openardf.org