[ARDF] [Iaru_region_ii_rules_and_smartphones] GPS/Receiver

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Sun May 13 13:31:41 GMT 2018

Regarding technical issues related to SDR, RTL, and ARDF:

The iPhone app "iSDR" was first released in The App Store in June 2010,
almost eight years ago. It was written to minimize the throughput delay, by
implementing its lower layers in assembly language. I haven't taken delay
measurements in years, but with iPhone 4S technology it measured at around
200 ms. I would guess that has improved somewhat with faster Apple devices.
Whether or not that is acceptable depends in part on your style of hunting:
it will not allow the signal you hear to keep pace with a quick rotation of
a beam antenna.

A direct-sampling detector, that samples the radio signal to directly
convert it to audio frequencies, requires very fast switching. That
translates to high power consumption. For a VHF direct-sampling detector
made with discrete components the current requirements might be in the
range of 100 mA. It would be more reasonable for an HF detector, but still
would be much higher than using more traditional radio technology. The high
power drain could be addressed using hardware designed for use in modern
cell phones, in which case one might also do well to eliminate the cell
phone/tablet from the receiver design. Although I don't think that it is
practical right now, I do think that eventually new hardware components
will allow SDR to be brought into homebrew designs more easily and with
better overall performance.

It has been some years since I experimented with RTL dongles such as Vadim
described. The devices I tested proved to be unsuitable for ARDF. Because
those devices were designed to serve as TV receivers, their sensitivity
suffered greatly at 145 MHz. Also, they sent an 8-bit audio stream, which
greatly limited their dynamic range. Their throughput delay, running on a
PC, seemed to be on par with iSDR running on an iPad: in the 200 ms range.
Also they seemed to be prone to various sorts of intermod. Perhaps RTL
dongle technology has advanced greatly since I experimented with it, if so
Vadim can probably shed light.

I don't think that SDR is likely to prove the answer unlocking broad
interest in ARDF. But I do think that ARDF has serious hardware issues that
must be addressed if ARDF is to become widely adopted.

73,
Charles
NZ0I

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 2:22 AM, Bruce via