[ARDF] Digispark USB Development Board on sale at Microcenter: $5.99

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Mon May 20 15:20:52 PDT 2013

    This is the crystal I mentioned: 32.768 kHz:
http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8333.pdf

    At this URL there a several tech notes about using crystals for
calibration of the internal oscillator:
http://www.atmel.com/devices/attiny85.aspx?tab=documents

    What is cool about the 32,768 Hz crystal is that (1) the
microcontrollers are made to use it, usually without other external
components (although *very* short leads are recommended, and (2) You can
write code that plays nicely with the slower timer without having to worry
about accounting for each op cycle of the processor---as long as you can
"clear the negative" of the signed integer, you've got a wide margin for
keeping track of the time. The way I read it---and I'm *not* good at
this---is that from 0x00 (hex 00) to 0x7F is one second, and then the next
cycle gives 0x80 (which is 32768 cycles), which is negative (signed int).
As long as the code can catch the timer before it hits 0xFF and can clear
the most significant bit and increment the second count, it's all good. The
count of the crystal pulses is maintained in the 15 least significant
bits---say the count is 0xA8 when the code checks the msb and clears it,
then the count becomes 0x28. As long as the code checks that timer about
every second (and never >= 2 seconds), it's basically impossible to lose
the count. Most code is going to check it *a lot* more than that. (I'm
assuming Jennifer knows this, but I am trying to explain it partly for
other people, and partly so people can tell me if I've got it wrong.)

Whether the Arduino software tools can do this---I have no idea. Just to
mount the crystal might take soldering it piggyback to the chip and cutting
the traces to the header.

Matthew
Cincinnati