[ARDF] Fwd: [Melb-ARDF] The Case of Missing SI box 101

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 12:15:51 PDT 2012

Dale Hunt sent me this reply, below.

Matthew
Cincinnati

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dale Hunt <wb6byu at arrl.net>
Date: Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ARDF] Fwd: [Melb-ARDF] Fwd: The Case of Missing SI box 101
To: Matthew Robbins <cedarcreek at gmail.com>

I nearly had to DF the 4 MHz signal from the controller in one of my foxes
when
it was put out but not turned on.  (The PICCONs with colorburst crystals
would be
easier.)

But 125kHz shouldn't be too difficult.  I think my VR-500 tunes down that
low.  DF
may not be easy with a short burst, but just listening for signal strength
should tell
you when you are in the right area.  That's probably the fastest method:
calibrate the
receive range using another box, then beat the bush until you can detect
the pulsed
RF from the missing one.  The range likely will be pretty short (<50m?) so
once you
can hear it and maximize the signal strength by trial and error you should
be able to find it.

If you needed to DF it, an external loop on a suitable ferrite rod would
get you started.

For a dedicated unit (if this happens too often) I could take one of my
direct conversion
sets and replace the VFO coil with a 455kHz IF transformer, then add enough
fixed
capacitance to get it on frequency.  (Varactor tuning isn't going to give
much range,
however.)  Probably easier to convert a superhet receiver, so the LO runs
around 600kHz
using standard AM BC coils.  I'd have to work out the loop details, but an
AM BC
loop antenna with added shunt capacitance might do the job.

     - Dale