[ARDF] Looking ahead to ARDF apps (in 2012)

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 17:59:03 PST 2012

Alpha testing of the ARDF/Orienteering navigation app is in progress, and
it seems we're still on track to start Beta testing in March. Thank you to
those who have volunteered, and especially to those who provided
orienteering map images.

We had encouraging results from our testing today. You can read about it,
and see some new images at the app web site: http://bit.ly/wpwcyV

Also, here is a summary:

An iPhone 3Gs and an iPhone 4S were used on the test run on a
nearly-regulation ARDF course. The test was conducted in William B. Umstead
State Park (near Raleigh, NC USA) and lasted for 106 minutes. At the end of
the test the iPhone 4S still had 30% of its battery charge remaining; the
iPhone 3Gs had 15% of its charge remaining. The app successfully guided the
participants to within 5 meters of each fox for the iPhone 4s, and to
within 10 meters with the iPhone 3Gs.